Need help making a decision

Non release banter
quotaholic
Black ninja
Black ninja

Re: Need help making a decision

Post#11 by quotaholic » 27 May 2011, 21:35

Thanks Ahau, I was wondering what tools were being used in those scripts. Well think I made a swing and a miss. After repacking and watching init hang, with many question marks, I remember that my /lib/modules folder did not have a /kernel/drivers/net subfolder. Crossed my fingers running depmod that the old /kernel/drivers/net/* would be okay. Guess not. So I think I am heading back to the drawing board on a kernel reconfig. This time though I will make a 4000 meg save.dat on a 16gb sd card to boot the netbook to so that the instructions are more vanilla to follow. That way I will have fewer mounted devices and fewer opportunities to fopah. That and the instructions will be letter for letter.

Thanks again, out for the weekend. Hope everyone has a great holiday!
quotaholic

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#12 by brokenman » 28 May 2011, 04:24

To unpack on slackware (providing you have squashfs support)

unsquashfs -f -dest /path/to/unpack /path/to/module.xzm
mksquashfs directory module.xzm

You can download the squashfs tools and stick them in your $PATH.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

quotaholic
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#13 by quotaholic » 03 Jun 2011, 02:20

Help,

I just failed for the third time in a row. Have yet to produce something that boots based off the instructions here:

http://porteus.org/info/docs/51-develop ... ernel.html

There is one spot where I needed to loose the .xz extension to off the end of the command in order to rebuild the initrd.xz in /root. Other than that I had no luck unmounting the /mnt/cdrom initrd image. Kept getting device busy no matter what I closed or tried. Other that that all indications looked good.

I am hanging at 2.358310 kernel thread helper. Third time in a row. Any ideas?

Thanks
quotaholic

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#14 by fanthom » 03 Jun 2011, 09:26

there is one mistake:

Code: Select all

xz --check=crc32 --x86 --lzma2 /root/initrd.xz
should be

Code: Select all

xz --check=crc32 --x86 --lzma2 /root/initrd
to umount /mnt/cdrom you muse exit this folder so do:
cd /

BTW: Porteus kernel has all important parts compiled in (*) so if you dont make any major twekas than you could skip initrd part. with current config the ramdisk is important from PXE-boot point of view only.
in short words: you can use original initrd.xz with your own kernel.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

quotaholic
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#15 by quotaholic » 03 Jun 2011, 13:59

That is seriously good information for me at this stage. Thank you. I will try again with out initrd.xz.

I tried out rc-2 last night. It would not boot on amd geode hardware. Indications were that I needed a cpu with pae support. I am not sure if that was intentional or not as Porteus makes a great embedded os.

Also, for whatever reason I cant get any usb keyboard input to take on init when asked the "do you want to make a save.dat file when booting the target hardware to the sd card holding Porteus RC-1. If I take that sd card back to my netbook I have no problem answering the question and continuing init. Seems like a usb thing. I am using a powered usb hub and a basic logitech keyboard. Have swapped out hubs and keyboards just to make sure. Is there any way to bypass the save.dat question?

Say I am building the kernel on a netbook using a 4000mb save.dat to hold all the kernel stuff. When I go to transfer to the target hardware can I effectively leave behind that 4000mb save.dat

Not 100 percent sure but it seems like some cheat codes dont work on RC-1. "toroot" plops me in kdm. I am going to download a fresh iso. Too many things seem out of place.

**Edit: MD5 sums check out. Not sure why usb keyboard is not working in init. Same on "toroot" cheatcode.

Thanks again
quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on 03 Jun 2011, 15:32, edited 2 times in total.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#16 by Ahau » 03 Jun 2011, 14:01

RC2 came out with a kernel that supported PAE (previous version did not). This is the second (third?) time we've heard this problem... I'm thinking PAE won't be in the kernel for final (but, I don't make those decisions ;) )
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#17 by fanthom » 04 Jun 2011, 11:48

"Indications were that I needed a cpu with pae support."
yes - this is my fault. will be corrected for FINAL.

quotaholic
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#18 by quotaholic » 05 Jun 2011, 18:58

Excellent. Think I made a mistake along the way on one or more of my attempts. I really need to name this kernel in the same context that porteus has, no? With the -porteus appended to the version or uname? Also when in makeconfig I see a default size for ramdisk. Should I adjust the default size or is the default okay? Just trying to eliminate possibilities of fail.

quotaholic

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#19 by fanthom » 05 Jun 2011, 19:42

@quotaholic
1) you can pick up any name for your kernel. just remember to have the same name in /mnt/cdrom/lib/modules/2.6.38.x-your_name
2) you should change initrd size in kernel config only if you resize initrd itself. if you just replace a files inside intird then you are fine. remember to leave more than 600KB of free space in the ramdisk.

Cheers

quotaholic
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#20 by quotaholic » 05 Jun 2011, 21:12

Thanks for the quick reply Fanthom! I am actually trying to bypass the xinitrd portion for now. Call it training wheels if you will however this is my first kernel compile and I am on attempt number 8 or so now. Once I get one that works I will try the initrd step too.

Hey on a completely unrelated note is anyone here playing back 1080p content on an ati driver? Tried to build a htpc on slackware and omg its soo much faster than *buntu's. Cant get 1080p working well though. My thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=102863

Thanks
quotaholic

Posted after 1 hour 17 minutes 23 seconds:
Just tried the same kernel that shipped in rc-2. 2.6.38.7

I even appended -porteus to the end.

I followed this guide:

and nine times now I have had either a bunch of question marks (when initrd portion is followed) and init hangs,
or
I get kernel panic after vmlinux is loaded, a 303 unknown video mode error results, and initrd hangs causing led blinking. I get this if I skip the initrd part of the tutorial. This is what prompted me to ask about appending porteus to the kernel and version.

I can produce either situation with regularity and consistency. I have to ask, before I attempt try number 10 has someone been though this tutorial and proven it to work? Are there little bits of key information that are missing that a vetran would know about that a newb would not? I linked to my website and my last xbmc tutorial to try to prove that I am not a complete idiot. Granted I am not all that smart but I do know a little about linux and how to follow instructions. I am one try away from giving up and throwing in the towel on porteus. I cant use either distro as it stands. RC-1 does not recognize a usb keyboard plugged in to a legacy 1.1 port on boot and RC-2 needs a pae kernel. And I cant make your "how to" work in compiling the hardware support I need in to your os.

Can someone validate the linked instructions and offer some plausible explanation as to why they produce so many failed builds or where I may be going wrong? Letter by letter I follow the same each time.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#21 by brokenman » 06 Jun 2011, 13:31

I get this if I skip the initrd part of the tutorial.
You need to complete the initrd part and also the 000-kernel module must be updated (if using Porteus). They all interact together during boot.

I have step-by-step guide that i wrote for myself when i was having trouble which i can provide for you.

http://www.porteus.org/tmp/kernel-updat ... s-full.txt
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

quotaholic
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#22 by quotaholic » 06 Jun 2011, 16:47

Ahhh, This is what I needed. Thank you! In scanning the first 20 lines I already see a few commands that were not in this tutorial:

Once I saw initrd getting mounted as a block device I figured that there was a three way handshake going on. Your text file does a much better job of explaining how to work with initrd.

Thanks again. I'll report back later tonight after I make some time to try this out.

quotaholic

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#23 by Ahau » 06 Jun 2011, 16:54

If this works out for you, I'll go through and try to merge the two documents, to get a more thorough HOWTO up on the website.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#24 by fanthom » 06 Jun 2011, 19:02

@quotaholic
take simplest path at the beginning:
- forget about tweaking initrd and use one provided with rc2. as i said earlier: initrd is important only in case of doing pxe-boot, all "vital" parts are build into porteus kernel.
- use original porteus kernel config
try to bump kernel from 2.6.38.x to 2.6.38.8. in case of successful booting you can start playing with initrd and config.

Good luck!

quotaholic
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#25 by quotaholic » 07 Jun 2011, 23:46

@Fanthom,

Man am I happy to see your post. I was just about to ask what I should be copying over. I built in-kernel support for two of the three possibilities on wifi. Via (non-gpl or very recently gpl) makes the third so I will have to build that in later. Looking at the instructions I didnt have those particular modules in my lib/modules/..... folder. Wasn't sure what to copy over. It would be a pleasure to bypass initrd. In the future though it would be cool to know what has to be in there.

I did in fact go up to 2.6.38.8 as I saw it was the closest to the current "testing" kernel. Assumed it was a bug fix upstream. With initrd put aside I should be testing in just a few minutes.

Thank you!
quotaholic