Porteus v1.2 rc2 i486 is ready!

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Porteus v1.2 rc2 i486 is ready!

Post#1 by brokenman » 09 May 2012, 00:14

Kernel 3.3.4

Realtime changelog

Recompiled Trinity from latest git source 3.5.13 and optimized. Memory footprint should be pleasing.

Added some applications which should work across all desktops.

avidemux2 (video edit)
xvidcap (screen recorder)
gftp
asunder (music ripper)
pburn

Apart from this there were updates of modules in 001-002 to slackware latest (fanthom)
Also some updates to boot folder. (fanthom)

Many applications are gradually being ported to gtk.

Get it from here:
link

Have fun and as usual post any advice, requests, complaints or bugs here.

Language selection tool will not be functional until final.
The 'get-koffice' menu item is not functioning in this release. If you want it you can download koffice from the official porteus server or its mirror. It is in the modules/kapps folder.

Posted after 1 day 11 hours 27 minutes 25 seconds:
BUG
When starting some applications (that require tdesu) through kmenu everything works ok, but when you close the application tdesu throws an error about no being able to find the executable.

RESOLVED
sed -i "s/tdesu/kstart tdesu/g" /opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/psu
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Re: Porteus v1.2 rc2 i486 is ready!

Post#2 by Tonio » 09 May 2012, 00:34

brokenman wrote: The 'get-koffice' menu item is not functioning in this release. If you want it you can download koffice from the official porteus server or its mirror. It is in the modules/kapps folder.
why isn't koffice given the same treatment as k3b?

Calligra has replaced koffice, why does it not replace koffice? pburn has replaced k3b, so Calligra can replace koffice. In slackware current Calligra is present and koffice is out.

Thanks for your understanding.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#3 by brokenman » 09 May 2012, 02:36

Mainly because calligra (for 32bit) will drag in a couple of hundred Mb in dependencies as it requires qt4. 32bit is running on a modified qt3.

I will do my best to make it available but it towers over the trinity koffice (regarding size) in comparison. On a lighter note kile (LaTex environment) is being made available soon for trinity which should tickle LaTex users.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#4 by Tonio » 09 May 2012, 12:16

brokenman wrote:Mainly because calligra (for 32bit) will drag in a couple of hundred Mb in dependencies as it requires qt4. 32bit is running on a modified qt3.
OOPS! I forgot that it is trinity :( You are indeed correct sir! The calligra is for KDE >= 4.8.1, Wrong request. I apologize. No worry then.
I will do my best to make it available but it towers over the trinity koffice (regarding size) in comparison. On a lighter note kile (LaTex environment) is being made available soon for trinity which should tickle LaTex users.
Excellent! Now the trick would be to configure it to work with kertex modules? Have you tried kertex modules?
I have not gotten much response from folks :(

EDIT:
I should just use XFCE version for porteus. It is lighter, and has abiword and gnumeric. Till the newer kde 4.8.X or kde5.X makes it way to i486. Trinity is awesome, but without k3b and it is heavier than XFCE, I can use the XFCE version one, or remaster it but remove the KDE stuff altogether and use LXDE :)

EDIT2:
I can take a look into that (KDE4 on i486), but I am trying to make a script that will build kertex slackware package directly, ie., download the kertex.SlackBuild, download the packages, set the path, compile and build the package, install the package, but need root priviledges, then install the available packages(all of them, fonts, amstex, amslatex, etc), then rebuild the entire slackware package with the included packages; then convert the tgz/txz to xzm for use in porteus. However, my script has not worked to perfection. I have to do some things manually :(, i.e, set the path, log out , then back in. start compiling and installing, then add the packages again, rebuild the Slackware package, then convert it to xzm. The building takes a little while and I have not really automated it all the way :(, but I know that the package works, but more people would need to give feedback. Thanks brokenman for all your input. I appreciate all the help and advice you, Ahau and fanthom provide. Rava was going to test the kertex package(s), but he might be too busy as well :(
Vonbiber is still using slax and has built kertex on slax only. He has not messed with the tex installation on native slackware. I also value his input with kertex issues.
Last edited by Tonio on 10 May 2012, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 by brokenman » 10 May 2012, 01:32

I havn't had a whole lot of time lately so havn't tested kertex yet. You could use wreads KDE4 modules and replace 004-tde and 005-tdeapps in the latest rc2 32bit release. This will replace trinity with KDE4.8. Looks pretty good.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#6 by wread » 10 May 2012, 17:00

@brokenman
As of KDE4.8.1, I tried Calligra; it was still in beta, and it couldn't read docx, xlsx, etc files (but it works nicely). I would rather use Libreoffice 3.4.5; it is almost as pleasant to the eye, fast, and ready for production.

Calligra is about 75Mb thick (using part of qt4 only), thinner than LibreOffice (105 + 76 of jdk). When Calligra is ready, it could be a better option, I guess. When you are ready to test it, I can send you the needed modules.

Regards!

EDIT: Testing 1.2 rc2, I found no Spanish keyboard and my rootcopy from rc1 got confused, it didn't want to connect my wifi as usual. I did choose AF and pressed BS, added toroot to enter "as before", but I had to set it all new.... :(

Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 by brokenman » 13 May 2012, 20:23

I've added Spanish to the toolbar for Trinity. This is in 004 module.

No puedo creer que me olvidé español.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#8 by Ahau » 16 May 2012, 14:15

Bug:

/root/.mozilla/firefox/c3pp43bg.default/extensions.ini is pointing to /usr/lib/firefox-10.0, and should point to /usr/lib/firefox-12.0 instead. I noticed this because flashblock was not working when logged in as root, and the extension preferences dialog would not open. Affects root user only in 32-bit standard and 32-bit Xfce.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 by brokenman » 16 May 2012, 15:08

Thanks Ahau. Will double check link in 007 for final.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#10 by wread » 19 May 2012, 03:17

The corrected version of 008-firefox.xzm can be downloaded from mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/?vn19rtll19cssiy
Substitute the one in "base" and reboot.

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

UrUtusUbU
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Hannah Montana Linux

Post#11 by UrUtusUbU » 24 May 2012, 01:10

hi again,
i have more bugs but not time to post the tests sorry, some things:

the usb port now work fine for me, now detect and mount and unmount without problems, only a warning in mesg but work, the warning is the same for all devices, not only sda2, probe yourself.

Code: Select all

FAT-fs (sda2): utf8 is not recommended IO charset for FAT filesystem, filesystem will be case sensitive!
the scroll of touchpad still dont work, i reinstalled the synaptics driver and changed 50 rules synaptic, only the mouse very more fast changing rules, but dont work the scroll.

the link to home in desktop root go to guest home, this is an silly thing but say it for remember.

when start compiz i cant return to kde/tde desktop, only show openbox like option to exit compiz, in lxde no problem,
but if you are in kde/tde you cant return to kde desktop you must use openbox in kde, should show kwin option,
kwin dont exist in new Tde?
i dont know like fixer, i copy/paste kwin from another trinity but dont work,
i must install something new of trinity 14?
i probed in kde4 with the module kde4 of wread, but kde4 have kwin and no problem in menu, and work compiz perfect too, with your dependencies of course,
good module weard.

some dependencies of kde3 dont work and do not let install some programs like yakuake or knetstats, i like yakuake :)

acpi work better now, the option suspend computer work fine for me.

good idea the secuential number making modules for no overwriting :) very good.

xvidcap screen capture work fine in multi or single capture.

when install porteus in real mode some fonts of kde dont work and cant start kde, only text mode, reboot or halt is the only option,
in rc1 that did not happen and kde start fine.

I explain better another day about this, sorry again, I hope that someone understand my bad english.

sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#12 by sci_fi » 24 May 2012, 11:35

Apologies if this is already reported.

Some issues when moving from v1.1 to v1.2-rc2 using identical configuration

I use a script that utilizes kdialog. When running v1.2-rc2, I get error messages to the effect that kdialog is not found. Could you advise?

Also, my font settings for Konqueror (used as file manager) and kwrite seem to have changed from v1.1 to v1.2-rc2. I am not sure if this is a glitch due to kde changes or something related to font handling. If necessary, I will provide more detail.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,

sci_fi

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 by brokenman » 24 May 2012, 14:02

@ UrUtusUbU
Please provide your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Please provide output of:
grep "SynPS/2" /proc/bus/input/devices

Please try these commands for scrolling:

modprobe -rv psmouse && modprobe -v psmouse proto=imps
Check if scrolling works.

modprobe -rv psmouse && modprobe -v psmouse proto=any

synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=1
See if you can scroll with two fingers on the touchpad.
the link to home in desktop root go to guest home, this is an silly thing but say it for remember.
Thanks. I will double check for final.
should show kwin option, kwin dont exist in new Tde?
Correct it has been replaced by 'twin' and this compiz problem is a bug from upstream. Working on it.

@ sci_fi
kdialog was removed in favor of xdialog and gtkdialog. Kdialog is not a HUGE app so i may consider reincluding it.
Also, my font settings for Konqueror (used as file manager) and kwrite seem to have changed from v1.1 to v1.2-rc2.
Please provide more details. V1.2 i completely rebuilt trinity from latest git sources. It will almost certainly have slight differences.

UrUtusUbU
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Hannah Montana Linux

Post#14 by UrUtusUbU » 25 May 2012, 00:27

brokenman wrote:@ UrUtusUbU
Please provide your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Please provide output of:
grep "SynPS/2" /proc/bus/input/devices

Please try these commands for scrolling:

modprobe -rv psmouse && modprobe -v psmouse proto=any

synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=1
See if you can scroll with two fingers on the touchpad.
first very thanks brokenman,
the first line proto=imps work for me, this:

i dont probed proto=any because imps work very fine,
vertical scroll, horizontal scroll, double click, middle button, all well,
very thanks work without scroll is a torture for work fast.

the output for grep "SynPS/2" /proc/bus/input/devices was:

N: Name="SynPS/2 Sypnastics Touchpad
late put the command line the output was nothing,

i dont have xconf, only gui.conf and xorg.conf-vesa,
i probed to create one with xconf command but say,
"cannot run auto config, try xorgsetup or xorgconfig,"
i dont tried this.
i you want something more....

very thanks to answer so fast, byes.

sci_fi
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#15 by sci_fi » 26 May 2012, 23:43

@brokenman

My apologies for the delayed response. It has been a busy week.
Regarding my font questions in v1.2 rc2:
I posted my kdeglobals file and konquerorrc file at
http://p.boxnet.eu/26723/
http://p.boxnet.eu/46967/

It seems that only KDE apps are affected. KDE apps do not appear to find my requested font settings. For example, in v1.1 I have Kwrite using dejavu sans mono Bold 12 and Konqueror using Trebuchet MS 13 (not sure if bold or not). In v 1.2rc2, using the identical configuration (I save config as an xzm), I find Kwrite using monospae reg 10 and konqueror using sans serif 10.
In both these applications the menu and left column fonts are affected as well as the display fonts in kwrite.
Again I do not see this effect in non-kde apps.

---------
Regarding kdialog:
I am certain over time I can modify my script to use xdialog and gtkdialog. I have not had time to look into this. As in interim, perhaps I could extract the appropriate files from the v1.1 iso and create my own xzm module for kdialog. If you think this would work, could you please tell me the files to extract. (I have not yet started looking).

Thank you as always for your help.

Best regards,

sci_fi

Posted after 10 hours 5 minutes 18 seconds:
@brokenman

I finally realized that the font settings are now stored in .trinity rather than .kde. This solved my font problems.

I have apparently resolved all the dependencies with kdialog, but now get errors as follows: Can you advise me?
QObject::connect: No such signal DCOPClient::attachFailed(const QString&)
QObject::connect: (sender name: 'unnamed')
QObject::connect: (receiver name: 'kdialog')
kdialog: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN10DCOPClient10registerAsERK8QCStringb
kdialog: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN10DCOPClient10registerAsERK8QCStringb

Thanks and best regards,

sci_fi